Monday, October 10, 2011

My Weekend in Movies

A few days ago, this is how my aura radiates, as publicized by my social networking status update:
Still nothing. Optimism sure can't buy you change sometimes, especially when the costs are too high.
I knew I needed a change of pace; on most days my head argues that it needs a complete intellectual and psychological overhaul, something that my incapacitated and highly sentimental hypothalamus taught could be cured by a dose of inspirational movies. Hence the spotlight on A Beautiful Mind, Dead Poets Society, and American Beauty.

During some of the rainy summer days I spent in Baguio City, my fraternity brothers, sorority sisters, and I would laze around most of the afternoons. Nicotine, alcohol, and a bunch of movies from the sidewalks of Session Road are staples, and American Beauty happens to be one of the bunch. To this day, I still swear that it is the most kick-ass movie I have ever seen. Well, next to the Saw series.


After watching this movie, I felt as if I owe it a standing ovation for its realness. Its theme is a type of bluntness you don't see in most creative works anymore. American Beauty is so great (it won five academy awards) I had to watch it again.

Well, I actually started Friday with Dead Poets Society. If anybody would quote me on this I would deny it, but this movie made me cry, like three times I guess.


I listed carpe diem as one of the phrases I might have tattooed on me sometime; the movie was not able to shake me to seize the day however, as I simply began to watch another movie after wiping my tears and snot with my shirt sleeve. It did make me want to stand on a table, though.

And what could be more perfect for my hypersensitive hypothalamus than this drama about living with something that haunts you:


When John Nash said, "they're still there; I just choose not to acknowledge them," I had to grip my chest and inhale deeply.

I still wasn't inspired after more than six hours of motion pictures; if anything, my overly dramatic hind brain became even more chaotic.

However, I have received a call from an anonymous number. I wouldn't have answered it as I hate answering phone calls from people I know, let alone strangers, but perhaps my then confused nervous system decided that it was okay.

Turns out, my "Still nothing" status update might just be wiped out this coming week. Let's see.

No comments:

Post a Comment