Monday, October 17, 2011

Unapologetic bluntness, attraction to the humanities, and more procrastination

David Sedaris and Jessica Zafra are my kind of authors, probably because we share the same amount of rage and of disbelief in the possibility of goodness by the human race, and because these are people who profess their thoughts with the sheer beauty of simply having the naked truth in mind (scandalous or attractive, then). I was up rereading Me Talk Pretty One Day until around two am, after a double dose of Jesse Eisenberg on HBO and a failed attempt at writing a piece about greatness. I came to a semi-stoned state after seeing The Social Network to the point of almost worshipping Mark Zuckerberg's unapologetic bluntness - Sedaris and Zafra welcome the guy to the club with open arms.


Don't. Move. The Pile.
500 Days of Summer's OST is still playing in my head, and along with it is an urge to read philosophical texts and some books from my pile (which I had to temporarily kick out of my bedside to make way for... text books. Gah.). Speaking of books, I believe my behavior towards arranging my piles is bordering towards the obsessive-compulsive; this morning my mother tried to put the pile that I kicked out of bedside to the shelf space voided by the textbooks now acting as my pillows, and I got so irritated I almost snapped at her. She said sorry and stopped midway, and I undid her arranging the minute she went downstairs. This was followed by an attempt to melt my rage by listening to Le Festin, washing my hands dirtied by dust, clipping my nails, and washing my face. Perhaps I'm not a morning person. Either that, or my hormones are back.

I have been meaning to devour philosophy (specifically, theories on existentialism as they are adjacent to the concoctions of my brain on most days), and my enthusiasm got reignited when I discovered last night that Friedrich Nietzsche is German. Of course he is. The land of the profound and un-celebrated-slash-misdirected deep thought.

The fact that almost everybody hates this guy makes him all the more interesting.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go back to (a very futile attempt at) studying polymerization of ribonucleotides by RNA polymerase during transcription.

yeah, right.

No comments:

Post a Comment